"Sociologists use the term “androcentrism” to refer to a new kind of sexism, one that replaces the favoring of men over women with the favoring of masculinity over femininity. According to the rules of androcentrism, men and women alike are rewarded, but only insofar as they are masculine (e.g., they play sports, drink whiskey, and are lawyers or surgeons w00t!). Meanwhile, men are punished for doing femininity and women… well, women are required to do femininity and simultaneously punished for it."
— via geeknip
"Women who are too sexual aren’t taken seriously, and women who aren’t sexual enough aren’t taken seriously. Women who are conventionally attractive get valued solely for their sexual appeal; women who aren’t conventionally attractive get dismissed for their lack of it. Women who are conventionally attractive are assumed to be dumb bimbos; women who aren’t conventionally attractive are assumed to be either bitter or desperate. Women who are conventionally attractive get trivialized; women who aren’t conventionally attractive get treated with pity and contempt. We can’t win."
— via sexxxisbeautiful
"Because when we find ourselves believing that killing a man makes us more of a man, but loving a man makes us less of a man, it’s probably time to reexamine our criteria for manhood."
— via geeknip
Jay Smooth, founder of New York City’s longest-running hip hop radio program, WBAI’s Underground Railroad and video blogger. (via spunkywarcannon)
Gotta reblog. This is on my favorite quotes list on Facebook for goodness sakes.
Jay Smooth is probably the most insightful person on the internet. Chech out his vlogs at youtubr.com/illdoc1 . Love the guy, seriously
Plus the fact that he is fine as FUCK doesn’t hurt either.
YES INDEED! Jay Smooth, you preach it! These oppressive ass violent masculinity restrictions need to GO!
I remember this quote! It’s still awesome. ^^
I may have reblogged this before, but whatever. I love this quote.
Rant 1: Girls are like goddamn human beings, not fucking apples, you assholes
So this evening I went to my weekly knitting class. I’m the youngest person there by a long shot, so I always feel a bit like the odd one out, but it’s always a pretty good time anyway.
Except today one of the knitters started talking about the poetry unit she’s teaching in her 6th grade English class and the “shape poem” she found that she just loves and shows to her students every year.
And the problem is, this is the poem she was talking about:
Oh. My. God.
The worst part was that all the other knitters backed her up. They just couldn’t stop talking about how sweet it was and what a nice sentiment it was and I was just sitting there silently at the table with my hands shaking and my heart rate through the roof trying to decide whether to let it go or give them a lecture or just fucking walk out.
Where do I even start?
Let me try to list out a couple of the things that are astonishingly offensive about this poem.
- Um, total erasure of queer identities, much? Boys want girls, and vice versa. What are the gays???
- Hooray, slut shaming! The apples at the bottom of the tree are easy and rotten. Holy sweet jesus what the fuck.
Yeah, because female sexuality is rotten and gross, and filthy sluts who have the temerity to make themselves available to boys are just consolation prizes for those who are too lazy to go for the Good Girls (tm), or practice rounds who deserve to be dumped immediately the moment something better comes along. Girls aren’t allowed to seek sexual agency or experience sexual pleasure on their own terms, because that means they’re easy.
- Also, your ~*~..::*Purity*::..~*~ is a magical and special flower just waiting to be plucked by The Right Guy. But watch out! You don’t want to lose it! Because it’s the only measure of your worth as a human being, and if you’re not careful with it you’ll turn in to a whore. That’s okay, thought, because as long as you have it, you’re the best apple on the tree!
- My favorite is that this poem frames female sexuality and the entire female experience in terms of male desire and achievement.
Girls are passive objects who have no agency and no choice. They just wait for the “right guy” to come and “pick” them. If they wait long enough, they might be lucky enough to be awarded to the strongest and bravest boys who climb to the top of the tree and deign to select them.
In essence, girls aren’t individual human beings with goals and desires and motives beyond the need to be attached to a boy. They exist only in the context of male personal development.
- She’s teaching this to her sixth graders who are all probably right at the beginning of puberty and just starting to deal with all this freaky stuff about sexuality and establishing identity and she’s emailing it to a youth group leader who wants to share it with all her kids and this horrible heteronormative misogynist garbage is what these kids are being exposed to a crucial stage of development and I can just feel the weight of all our society’s hateful, destructive patriarchal baggage dropping onto the backs of the next generation and oh god nothing ever, ever changes and why do we even try
SO BASICALLY THIS POEM IS GROSS
AND I HATE IT